Opening Association Amenities in 2021
Conference Day 2 | April 29, 2021
Presented by: Jennifer Medja-Sanchez, CMCA, AMS (FirstService Residential); Cindy Fitts, CIRMS (CISA Insurance); Nicholas Bartzen (Altus Legal LLC)
As the weather warms, the vaccine roll-out continues, and we all attempt to put 2020 into the “rearview mirror,” community association boards and managers are now considering amenity reopening plans. Local municipalities are enacting measures and developing plans for reopening public pools, fitness centers are increasing business with enhanced safety protocols, and folks who have seen their community association amenity rooms “lay fallow” for the past year are now looking to their boards to develop their own reopening strategies.
Despite the progress in the State of Illinois with vaccinations, COVID-19 remains a serious threat that boards must consider. Face masks, social distancing, disinfecting surfaces – none of these are going away anytime soon even with vaccinations proceeding.
The “Reopening Amenities During COVID-19” session aims to address, head-on, the issues that all boards and managers must consider when developing their reopening plans. Such issues include:
- What can we require of users as far as PPE?
- Do we need additional insurance coverage?
- Is our current insurance adequate?
- Do we HAVE to reopen all amenities and how do we address unit owners who complain about limitations?
- Can we require proof of vaccination from users before entering the pool?
- Can we mandate all users sign liability waivers before using the pool or fitness room?
During the session, our panel of experts will share their collective experience in community management, insurance, and community association law to provide some answers to the questions all board are already (or should be) asking. We hope to see you at the 2021 IL Condo-HOA Conference & Expo!