The Bristol Condominiums is a luxury 42 story high-rise building located in the heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood in the shadow of the John Hancock Center. A modern building constructed in 1999, it has 178 units, and offers its residents the best in urban living. Amenities include an award-winning garden terrace, lap pool, state-of-the art exercise room, and stunning views of the lake and city. All this along with professional on-site management, and a 24/7 maintenance team and door staff, The Bristol is one of the top employment opportunities in the country.
The Chief Engineer (SEIU Local 1 Head Janitor) is responsible for maintaining the physical integrity of the property at all times, and managing the safe and efficient operation of all building mechanical, plumbing, and control systems. Reviews and evaluates mechanical and plumbing specifications and drawings, as well as installations, ensuring system functionality, maintainability, and accessibility. Provides technical advice to the Board of Directors, management, staff, and outside consultants relative to design, installation, operation, and repair of building and in-unit systems. This position ensures all mechanical and plumbing distribution systems, building utilities, environment, and equipment are maintained and operated properly and in compliance with industry standards and applicable building codes, ensuring a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and staff.
The Chief Engineer will be expected to exhibit the following at all times: inclusiveness, respect, initiative, collaboration, innovation, and accountability. The Chief Engineer will strive to provide excellent service when performing job responsibilities and will practice safe work procedures, and follow safety rules at all times.
Must be a member of SEIU Local 1 (Residential Division), or join within 30 – 60 days after the start of employment. Physical ability to lift and maneuver heavy weights, climb and descend ladders, and work in hot, cold, cramped and confined quarters. Ability to work safely and at heights on ladders, lifts and scaffolding. Dexterity necessary for the use of tools and manipulation of materials. Five-day work week, but must be available and capable of responding to irregularities during evenings and weekends ensuring 24 hour, 7 day per week coverage.
It is the duty of the Chief Engineer to follow all directives given by the Community Manager, Regional Manager and/or Facilities Operations Manager(s). The Chief Engineer reports directly to the Community Manager.
Job Type: Full-time with 24/7 availability
- Plans, directs, and coordinates maintenance operations of building plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems and ancillary infrastructure to meet the established annual budget;
- Organizes work for planned and unscheduled maintenance tasks directed to building maintenance staff for efficient and effective performance while ensuring that adequate staff is available to respond to irregularities and/or emergencies;
- Have a working knowledge of the building and its mechanical systems. Be able to take appropriate remediation action in an emergency situation.
- Conduct weekly/daily inspections of the property including but not limited to grounds, building systems, roof, elevator rooms, maintenance shops, storage rooms, common areas, building exteriors, and work order productivity. Note deficiencies observed during inspections and assign team members with proposed plan of action and follow-up for completion within a specific time frame.
- Effectively interacts with staff and maintains good order and discipline among personnel consistent with building policies, initiating commendatory or corrective action as appropriate;
- Ensure that maintenance and janitorial team members are trained and competent in their job duties.
- Interviews and recommends hiring or promotion of qualified staff, and performs annual employee assessments of subordinate personnel;
- Prepares written and oral reports on the condition, renewal needs, and routine maintenance of facilities, components, and related activities including post-incident summaries and root cause analyses;
- Review practices and priorities of maintenance and repair at the property, on a daily basis.
- Identifies and recommends employee safety, technical, soft-skill training, and professional development opportunities as required to ensure optimum performance and development;
- Ensures compliance with applicable OSHA requirements and jurisdictional codes;
- Estimates mechanical and plumbing related project work scope, budgets, and timelines. Work with Community Manager to negotiate third-party vendor contracts and maintenance agreements.
- Participates in design and construction reviews for capital projects;
- Attend trainings and meetings to maintain current knowledge of legal codes and requirements.
- Ensure that sites are inspected and remain in compliance with city and state regulations, as well as health and safety requirements.
- Effectively interacts with Residents and the Board of Directors.
- Provide technical expertise, information and assistance to the Community Manager in the formulation, development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two years of college in stationary, marine, mechanical engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- Minimum five years supervisory experience in planning, directing, and coordinating the maintenance of building systems and equipment;
- Understand principles and practices of administration, supervision and training. Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of computers and automated systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Exceptional customer relationship skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to effectively motivate work groups toward defined and agreed upon common goals;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the tools, instruments, methods and standard trade/safety practices pertaining to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing;
- Ability to perform calculations applicable to field of experience;
- Working knowledge of BOCA, NFPA, State, Local, and other associated building codes;
- Ability to review construction drawings and make recommendations that will conform to Bristol standards as well as complying with all pertinent codes;
- Receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement;
- Helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented;
- Ability to build strong working relationships and a positive work environment;
- Seeks to build collaboration by encouraging trust, mutual respect and shared purpose;
- Balances listening and talking, speaks and writes clearly and accurately, keeps others informed;
- Integrates health and safety precautions into daily activities;
- Works effectively in an environment in which the parameters may change daily; adjusts behavior to meet the needs of different people and situations.
- Successfully uses multiple software program independently. Software may include Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and Outlook, and Yardi Voyager.
- Proficiency with mobile devices including iOS.
- Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one’s own team;
- Plans ahead, manages time well and arrives on time;
- Familiarity with zone maintenance models;
- Recommends improvements and opportunities to increase efficiency and reduce costs;
- Analytical skills including critical thinking, decision making, trouble shooting and problem solving, reading and interpreting technical drawings;
- Achieves a standard of excellence with work processes and outcomes, honoring Bristol policies and all regulatory requirements.
- Prior Chief Engineer experience at a luxury condominium building.
If interested, please apply here.